The Lead Stage Technician works in the stage department, on a per call hourly basis, to support the goals/objectives of the Strathmore Operations and Production department. This position reports to the Production Stage Manager (PSM) and to the Executive Vice President of Operations (EVP, Ops).
Position Summary Requirements
A background in technical theatre and in the production of a wide spectrum of events, as well as a knowledge of typical stage carpentry, as well as a basic knowledge of all aspects of production technique, equipment and facilities.
Position Summary Work Schedule
Daytime, evening time and weekend hours. Hours vary based on need.
Basic Position Responsibilities and Duties
The Lead Stage Technician heads the stage department, in order to:
- set and strike the custom orchestra and choral riser system, as required, with a number of moves taking place after a concert continuing into the early morning hours;
- coordinate the scheduling of set up and strike with the PSM as well as other departments as needed;
- maintenance of said system including detailed inventories of relevant materials and equipment, purchasing disposable equipment parts, and providing long term planning for repair and equipment purchased;
- maintain all audience seats and music stands;
- strike / restore audience seats on orchestra level for shows;
- unload Truck of all instruments, and
- help set up orchestra.
- At least 5 years’ experience in technical theatre and in the production of a wide spectrum of events.
- Demonstrated knowledge of: performing venue’s stage systems.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player, and a sense of humor.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Interest in, and knowledge of, the performing arts.
- Must be able to lift 20lbs.
Accountabilities for this position, and satisfactory completion of this job, include excellent attention to detail, anticipation of production (stage) needs, exercising sound professional judgment, meeting financial goals, building and maintaining good working relationships with staff, board, and colleagues, keeping excellent records. Yearly performance evaluations will be conducted.
I.A.T.S.E. Local 22 / Salary / Benefits / Work Rules
This position will be required to be a part of the I.A.T.S.E. Local 22 bargaining unit. Hourly wages, union benefits and work rules are determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. This position would also be a “first call position” on calls not involving riser set up or strike.
To apply for this position, please submit the following items: Cover Letter & Resume (specifically addressing the qualifications listed above):
- If submitting your application electronically, the email SUBJECT line must contain the words “Lead Stage Technician” and send to email@example.com
- Please direct all mail submissions to:
Lead Stage Technician
Attention: Executive Vice President of Operations
5301 Tuckerman Lane
North Bethesda, MD 20852
- Only qualified applicants will be contacted.
- Strathmore is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.